The Week 19 edition:
Your baby’s limbs are growing to be in proportion to each other and the rest of the body. Vernix caseosa is a white, creamy, naturally occurring biofilm, developed to protect the baby’s skin from damage from being in the amniotic fluid. Your baby is having a sensory explosion with all the senses getting more active by this week. The skin on fingers and toes have now developed distinct patterns that are permanent and unique. The size of a mango, your baby weighs 240 grams and is 15.24 cm long.
Here is a comprehensive list of everything your baby has been up to this week:
- Your baby’s limbs are growing to be in proportion to the rest of the body.
- The lungs are developing rapidly with the bronchioles being formed now.
- The sensitivity of the skin is retained by vernix.
- Your baby may start sucking its thumb in the womb.
Track your growth at Week 19:
Most women look obviously pregnant by week 19 although the size of the baby bumps may differ according to your torso length- space between your lowest rib to the top of your hip.
If you are having any aches and pains especially in your back, the yogic child’s pose can help give it a good stretch. If you are sensitive you may feel your uterine ligaments stretching and aching as they continue to support the ever-growing uterus.
Here is a list of symptoms you may see this week:
- Are you gasping for breath frequently? Nothing abnormal, as you need more oxygen during pregnancy, your body adapts by inhaling and exhaling more air with each breath. Also, your growing uterus is putting pressure on your diaphragm.
- You might develop symptoms of deep anxiety and depression. You might feel heavy, weepy or low; have extreme mood swings or feel nervous or “on edge” or lose interest in people or activities. Get professional help if symptoms persist and/or worsen. Prenatal depression affects about 7% pregnant women worldwide.
- If you find vaginal discharge causing itchiness, please consult your doctor. This could be a symptom of vaginal yeast infection.
- Follow proper dental hygiene as you might find your gums swollen and bleeding gums.