The Week 16 edition:
Though the face looks more human than ever, the baby’s skin is still transparent. You might as well see the blood vessels underneath their skin! their circulatory system is up and running and your baby may witness a growth spurt over the couple of following weeks! Your baby can hear your voice, so give talking and signing to them a go, see if you can get a response. Between weeks 16-22, you will start feeling your baby stretch or kick inside your belly, most likely when you are sitting or lying down quietly or after eating a meal. With a body as large as an avocado, your baby measures 11.43 cm from to toe and weighs 99 grams.
Here is a comprehensive list of everything your baby has been up to this week:
- Though the face is developed to an extent, the skin is still transparent and lacks colour.
- The eyes have started moving slightly behind the lids.
- The circulatory system has started pumping and circulating blood throughout the body.
- Your baby may be able to hear your voice as small earbones have started to form. Why don’t you talk to them already. Sing a lullaby perhaps!
Track your growth at Week 16:
Gaining weight in pregnancy usually happens in spurts, while some of you may lose weight in the first trimester, gaining weight in the second trimester is normal and healthy. Some of you may gain more weight than others depending on your pregnancy weight. Eating right during pregnancy is of utmost importance. Include more eggs, meat and greens in your diet. Soups make a great mid- day snack. Slow cooked bone broth can be one of the most nourishing pregnancy foods. This not only helps you feel better about your body but avoids constipation and flatulence. This week you may experience increased vaginal discharge. You’ve done a great job so far.
Here is a list of symptoms you may see this week:
- You will be gaining more weight, as a result of growing a belly. Your care provider will track your weight gain during prenatal visits.
- Flatulence, the passing of gas, may occur.
- You may experience an increase in vaginal discharge.
- There may be an onset of varicose and spider veins.
- Stretch marks may appear.